As people are becoming more interested in where their food comes from, the trend of raising back yard chickens is growing. Guelph approves the growing of chickens however many growers have questions about welfare, environment, winter management, manure management and health of their birds. The Poultry Industry Council’s course will help address some of these questions, as well as covering the basics of chic care, egg quality, feed and nutrition and disease management. The course is taught by technical and poultry welfare experts and veterinarians.
PIC has scheduled their next Raising Backyard Chickens Workshop for Saturday, March 24, 2018. Course information will be posted late January 2018. Should you wish to be placed on a wait list to receive information about our next course offering when it becomes available, please contact PIC at 519-837-0284 or email@example.com.
Below is the advertisement poster from our last session with course details.
Click here to access City of Guelph’s By-laws pertaining to the keeping of backyard chickens.
Here is what a few of the participants of our last Backyard Basics course had to say:
What did you like most about today’s session?
- Good information – knowledge
- Mike’s bird health portion, and Al’s nutrition/housing portion
- It’s really good to have lots of good ppl to give time for us. Thank you
- Everything, was great, good presentations
- I liked Dr.. Mike section on culling the most
- Expert instructors
- Answered all questions
- Real experience explanations
- The variety of speakers and expertise/resources made available
- The variety of speakers offered a wealth of knowledge
- Good information to feel confident starting a flock