As people are becoming more interested in where their food comes from, the trend of raising back yard chickens is growing. Guelph approves the growing of chickens however many growers have questions about welfare, environment, winter management, manure management and health of their birds. The Poultry Industry Council’s course will help address some of these questions, as well as covering the basics of chick care, egg quality, feed and nutrition and disease management.
Join us at our next workshop on Saturday, March 24th 2018 from 8:30 am – 1:00 pm at the Kay House in Guelph (483 Arkell Road). The session will be taught by Al Dam, OMAFRA Provincial Poultry Specialist and Dr. Mike Petrik, Technical Poultry Veterinarian and Animal Welfare Expert. The course is $95 per person (lunch included), participation is limited to 20 individuals and pre-registration is required.
Click here to access City of Guelph’s By-laws pertaining to the keeping of backyard chickens. See section 12-15 under “Animal Registrations”.
Here is what a few of the participants of our 2016 Backyard Basics course had to say:
- Excellent information from experts
- Very informative, appreciated the info on euthanasia
- Excellent presentation, got to see products that are available, good supply of hand-outs
- Thank you for running the interesting course
- Lots of practical information
- Friendly & knowledgeable instructors