A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
- Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Hatchery Manager – Hanover
This position is accountable for managing the overall results of the hatchery (Hanover, New Hamburg or Wetaskiwin) ensuring the facility produces a quality product meeting the customer needs while adhering to all regulatory guidelines and maintaining lowest costs.
The Hatchery Manager is charged with ongoing development of a culture of continuous improvement to support all regulatory, animal husbandry and welfare practices, quality (HACCP), health & safety, marketing board and human resource standards. Short and long-term planning for capital investment, budget development and ownership, human resource planning and development and facility maintenance are all necessary to effectively and profitability achieve results.
The high functioning cross functional Hatchery Team achieves and/or exceeds earning results while providing the quality of product meeting the customer expectations and needs. The Team continuously evaluates results, policies, programs, procedures and resource effectiveness to ensure achievement of short and long term organizational strategies and the product quality continues to meet customer expectation at the lowest possible cost.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yield, results of Operations Cost Improvement initiatives and Six Sigma initiatives
- Ensures adherence to HACCP and pertinent Food Safety requirements, including the completion of audit targets
- Continuously improve operating costs or processes using CI/Six Sigma methodology
- Maintain and build a productive and positive employee relations environment through effective implementation of positive employee relations initiatives
- Development of salaried and hourly staff
- Develops, recommends, and implements Capital Improvement for hatchery, including the preparation and execution of a Hatchery Capital budget
- Meet or exceed customer service level targets through the synchronization of process/activities with all functional area processes, from allocation setting process through to the delivery to the broiler customer
- Manage the performance of the cross functional hourly and salaried team through effective implementation of Human Resources processes and policies and all Leadership Edge initiatives
- Set and meet all Health & Safety targets
- Support Marketing and Product Development on new product initiatives
- Maintain and apply knowledge through compliance with CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Health & Safety, Marketing Boards, Ministry of Transportation and other legislative bodies that impact hatchery performance
- Accountable to monitor and communicate to stakeholders any genetic, equipment, and sanitation advancements through contact with primary breeder, equipment, supply companies and other industry organizations
- Ensure adequate & balanced supply of raw material to hatchery.
- Budget development and adherence. Responsible for hatchery EBIT.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with associates and employees. Candidates must have:
- Post-secondary education in one of the following disciplines: food science, business, engineering, or operations management
- 5-10 years of management experience
- 5-7 years’ experience in a management role
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including Microsoft Excel, WORD, PowerPoint knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skill sets
- Strong analytical and reporting skill set
- Ability to drive continuous improvement
- Proven decision-making ability using various analytical tools (SWOT analysis, Six Sigma metrics, etc.)
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.